Dk. Dr. Noor Hasharina bte Pg. Haji Hassan
Bachelor of Arts (BA Hons.) Major: Geography, Minor: Sociology
Masters of Arts (MSc.) in Urban Economy and Culture (University of Southampton, UK)
PhD in Geography (University of Southampton, UK)
Dk Dr Noor Hasharina began her career as a tutor at Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, UBD, 2004 after graduating with a first class BA (hons) degree from UBD. In October 2004, she was sent to do her M.A in Urban Economy and Culture at the University of Southampton. It was here, where she found interest in Geographies of Consumption. She continued on to do her PhD in Geography at the Southampton University and completed in 2011. She is now a lecturer at the Geography, Environment and Development Programme and also works closely with Institute of Asian Studies.
She is currently supervising Masters and PhD students in her programme in which topics of research includes: Poverty, Consumption and Retailing, Landscape and Meanings, Indigenous Knowledge and Sustainable Development, Urban Sustainability and Livability. She has been involved in a few stakeholders meetings conducted by BEDB, Brunei Darussalam and consultancies such as the Brunei-US ASEAN English Enrichment Programme funded by the Brunei Government. She was Visiting Research Fellow at the King’s College London as well as a Visiting Scholar at the East West Centre, Hawaii.
She is Deputy Director for Institute of Asian Studies and Head of Borneo Studies Network Secretariat, Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
- Geographies of Consumption
- Place, Cultures and Identity
- Urban Economy and Culture
- BSB as a Sustainable City
- Financial Networks and Intermediaries
- Social Welfare and Exclusion
- Experiential Research in Sustainable Development
Dk Dr. Noor Hasharina area of research is within the umbrella of Urban Consumption and Landscape Studies. She has been working on housing development and sustainability in Brunei such as Vertical Living, House Values and Meanings as well as Space Use and Change. Currently she is also a keen researcher in retail and consumption development and is researching on Consumption and Identity, New Retail Development and Mapping Retailing. Other areas of interest include urbanism, urban economies and urban competitiveness including promoting sustainable cities and creative industries.
Research Experience and Grants
- 2002 Busing System in Brunei Darussalam. Unfunded.
- 2005 Luxury Goods Youth Consumption and Identity in Brunei Darussalam. Unfunded.
- 2010 Everyday Finances and Consumption in Brunei. Unfunded.
- 2011 Cultural Consideration in Vertical Living in Brunei Darussalam. Co-Researchers: Gabriel Y.V. Yong, Izni Azrein N. Azalie, Khairunnisa Ibrahim & Hjh Hairuni Ali Maricar. Unfunded.
- 2012 Social and Cultural proxemics and lifestyle of Bruneians as important determinants for Sustainable Housing Development: The Case of Perpindahan Lambak Kanan. Unfunded.
- 2012 My Rumah or My Crib: Changing Living Spaces of Young Bruneians. Co-researcher: Gabriel Y.V Yong. Unfunded.
- 2013 Social and Cultural proxemics and lifestyle of Bruneians as important determinants for Sustainable Housing Development: The case of Perpindahan Mata Mata. Unfunded. Cube Culture and Retail Dynamics. Unfunded.
- 2013 Investigating the relations between Cultural proxemics and Vertical Living: Implications on Brunei’s Vertical Housing Scheme. Unfunded.
- 2014-2015 Consumers’ Willingness to Pay for Housing: Dreamers or Realists? Unfunded.
- 2015 The Value of Housing. Unfunded.
- 2015-2017 The Changing Spaces of Consumption and Retailing: The Cube Store. Unfunded. Co-Researcher: Ng Mei Ping.
- 2015-2017 The Evolution of Shopping: Fusing Spaces between Online Retailing and Physical Stores. Unfunded.
- 2017 The Cube Retail Revolution: Moral Consumption and Retailing. Unfunded.
- 2017 Mapping Retailing in Brunei. Unfunded.
- 2017 Moral Economy: Halal discourse amongst consumers. Unfunded
Yong, G. Y. V., & Noor Hasharina H. H. (2008). Strategies for Ecotourism: Working with Globalization. Southeast Asia: A Multidisciplinary Journal, 8, 35-52. (PDF version)
King, Victor. T, Zawawi Ibrahim, & Noor Hasharina Hassan (Eds) (2017). Borneo Studies in History, Society and Culture. Springer.
Chapters in Books
King, V.T, Zawawi Ibrahim, & Noor Hasharina Hassan (2017). Introductory Remarks. In V. T. King, Zawawi Ibrahim & Noor Hasharina Hassan (Eds.), Borneo Studies in History, Society and Culture. Springer.
Noor Hasharina Hassan (2017). Everyday Finance and Consumption in Brunei Darussalam. In V. T. King, Zawawi Ibrahim & Noor Hasharina Hassan (Eds.), Borneo Studies in History, Society and Culture. Springer.
Noor Hasharina Hassan. Muslim Identity: Everyday Consumption of Bruneians. Muslim Economy and Consumption Workshop. UBD, Brunei. January 2017.
Noor Hasharina Hassan and Ng Mei Ping. The Growing Popularity of Cube Stores as a New Space of Consumption in Brunei. Brunei Malaysia Forum (BMF) “Integrating Asia through Knowledge Exchange”. UBD, Brunei. 16-17 November 2016
Noor Hasharina Hassan. Housing Culture in Brunei Darussalam. Joint Seminar on Tenets of Human Development in Southeast Asia. Organised by: Centre for Southeast Asia (CSEAS) Kyoto University, UBD-IAS, Southern Institute of Social Sciences (SISS) at SISS, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam. 4-5 March 2015.
Noor Hasharina Hassan. Home Cultures and Consumption in Brunei Darussalam in Brown-Bag Presentation. Education Program Seminar. East West Centre, Hawaii. Sep 2014.
Noor Hasharina Hassan. Everyday Finances and Consumption in Brunei Darussalam. Borneo Studies Workshop on “The State of the Art and Future Directions”. UBD, Brunei. December 2012.
Noor Hasharina Hassan & Gabriel Y.V.Yong. My Rumah or my Crib: Changing Living Spaces of Young Bruneians. 11th Biennial Conference, Borneo Research Council. UBD, Brunei. June 2012.
Noor Hasharina Hassan, Yong, G., Izni Azrein Noor Azalie, Khairunnisa Ibrahim, & Hairuni Ali Maricar (2011). Cultural consideration in vertical living in Brunei Darussalam. Paper presented at the 44th EAROPH Regional Planning Conference, Managing Urban Growth: Challenges for Small Cities, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam, November 2011.
Dk Noor Hasharina Pg Hj Hassan (2010). Financialisation in Brunei Darussalam. Conference paper presented at the “Global recession, local impacts” session for the Royal Geographical Society-Institute of British Geographers Annual International Conference in London on 2nd September 2010 at Queen Mary, University of London.
Dk Noor Hasharina Pg Hj Hassan (2010). Everyday financialisation in Brunei Darussalam. Poster presentation at the Annual Faculty of Engineering, Science and Mathematics (FESM) Poster Presentation at University of Southampton.
Dk Noor Hasharina Pg Hj Hassan (2009). Financialisation in Brunei Darussalam. Conference paper presented at the Annual Graduate School Conference at School of Geography, University of Southampton.
Dk Noor Hasharina Pg Hj Hassan (2008). Consumption, Debts and Savings in Brunei Darussalam. Conference paper presented at the Annual Graduate School Conference at School of Geography, University of Southampton.