Nani Suryani binti Hj Abu Bakar
Ph.D in East Asian Studies (University of Leeds), 2006
M.A. in Modern History (University of Leeds), 2001
B.A. Education (UBD), 1997
Certificate in Education (UBD), 1990
- AH-1202 The Making of Brunei Darussalam
- AH-2203 History practice II: Study of Historical Documents
- AH-2402 Sejarah Sosio-Ekonomi Brunei sejak abad ke 19
- AH-5204 Nasionalisme dan Pembinaan Bangsa
- AH-5202 Sejarah Sarawak dan Sabah sejak tahun 1800
- Researching and collecting documents pertaining to Brunei relations with Britain from 19th to 20th centuries
- History of Brunei Darussalam
- History of Southeast Asia
- Collecting documents pertaining to Brunei as recorded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, United Kingdom 1968 – 1975 at the National Archives, Kew, United Kingdom (funded by UBD, 2009)
- Researching and collecting documents pertaining to Brunei socio-economy between 1906 and 1975 at the National Archives, Kew, United Kingdom (funded by UBD, 2007).
- Brunei’s political development between 1966 and 1984: challenges and difficulties over its security and survival (PhD thesis, University of Leeds, 2006)
- Britain’s imperial policy in Northern Borneo 1881- 1906, (M.A. dissertation, University of Leeds, 2001)
Articles, Paper presented, Workshops and Forum attended
‘Britain’s policy towards Brunei after Brunei’s rejection of Malaysia in 1963’, paper presented at Seminar Kebangsaan Pembentukan Malaysia: Dari Kemerdekaan kepada pembentukan Malaysia: isu dan perdebatan at UiTM Kampus, Kota Kinabalu, 17-18 September 2011.
‘Migrasi masyarakat Brunei daripada Brunei ke Limbang setelah penguasaan Limbang oleh Charles Brooke 1890’, paper presented at Seminar sehari merantau, the Core, University Brunei Darussalam, 6 August 2011.
‘Migration of the people of Brunei to Limbang after the annexation of Limbang by Charles Brooke in 1890’, paper presented at an international seminar on ‘Merantau: Imagining Migration in the Malay World. International Seminar in Honour of Prof. E.U. Kratz, Goethe-University, Frankfurt, Germany, 30- 31 March 2011.
‘Brunei’s Political Development between 1966 and 1971: The Issue of Democracy’, paper presented at Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, 9 February 2011.
‘Modernity and ruled of monarch: the case of Brunei Darussalam’, paper presented at Konferensi Antaruniversiti Se Borneo-Kalimantan Ke 5, Transformasi Sosial di Borneo-Kalimantan, University Sabah, Kota Kinabalu Sabah, 16-17 June 2009.
'Britain's Withdrawal from East of Suez and Its Impact on Brunei', paper presented at Seminar Serantau Dalam Pembangunan Negara, Anjuran Bersama Yayasan Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah dan Persatuan Sejarah brunei, 10 - 11 January 2009.
‘Seminar on East Asia Security Outlook’, as a participant and discussant at The Empire Hotel and Country Club organized by Ministry of Defence, Brunei Darussalam, 14 January 2009.
'The Impact of British Administration over Brunei's Society' paper presented at The Second Joint Seminar of FASS UBD and IOC UT: Asian Societies and Cultures in the Eyes of Bruneian and Japanese Researchers, 16 - 17 Sept 2008, Tokyo.
'Some Aspects of Popular and Consumer Culture in Brunei' Towards an East Asia Community: Beyond Cross Cultural Diversity, the Japan Foundation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, 2008.
'Report from University of Brunei Darussalam on the Curriculum Development on East Asian Studies', paper presented at a workshop on ‘Curriculum Development on East Asian Studies, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok Thailand’, 10 - 12 March 2008.
'A Historical Overview of Brunei's Economy before the Discovery of Oil and some subsequent issues', Southeast Asia: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal, Vol, 7, No. 1, 2006/2007.
'The International Forum Towards an East Asia Community: Beyond Cross-Cultural Diversity: Inter-cultural, inter-societal, Inter-Faith Dialogue', as a participant and discussant, Tokyo, Japan, 10 - 18 December, 2007.
'Independence and After in Southeast Asia: Old and New Interpretations' as a participant and discussant at ‘Second International APRU Conference 2007’, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia, 7 -8 April 2007.
'Historical Overview of Brunei's economy before the discovery of oil and some issues after its discovery', paper presented at Seminar on ‘Social/Economic history of Brunei Darsussalam’, organised by the Department of History, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Universiti Brunei Darussalam, 14 - 15 November, 2006.