Wan Zawawi Ibrahim
Bachelor of Arts (Hons), Second Upper (Social Anthropology), Monash University, 1971
PhD (Social Anthropology), Monash University, 1978
Awards, Honours and Achievements
- 1966 : Old Ismailan Award for best overall outgoing student of the year, Sultan Ismail College, Kota Baru.
- 1967–1971 : Australian Colombo Plan Award for graduate and postgraduate studies in Australia.
- 1983 : Research Fellowship Award, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore
- 1988–1989 : Toyota Foundation International Research Grant Award.
- 1991 : Research Fellowship Award, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore.
- 1993 : Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Award (Social Sciences and Humanities).
- 1995-1996 : Fellowship of the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture, Japan.
- 1997–1998 : Sumitomo Foundation Research Grant Award, Japan.
- 1997 : Award of Excellence (Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang), University of Malaya, for 1996.
- 2000 : Southeast Asia–Canada Consortium for Trade and Human Rights Award for the Advancement of Human Dignity in Malaysia.
- 2000–2001 : Toyota Foundation Grant.
Current Research Projects
- Malaysian Nasyid music in the new era (research data collected in Malaysia under previous UKM research grant)
- Islamic Discourse in contemporary Indonesian and Malaysian New Cinema (ongoing research from Malaysia; will continue in Brunei and apply for UBD research grant)
- Youth and Music in Brunei (started with students' research project for essay assignment(Course Popular culture and media) and also continues with FASS research on Youth sponsored by the Ministry)
- The Boatmen of Kampong Ayer Brunei a segment of the bigger research applied via the KG Ayer Cluster; will start off by applying for Seed Money from UBD)
- Narratives of Penan "Imagined Community" (data collected whilst in UNIMAS, to be written into a book; in Malay)
- Social Science and Knowledge in a Globalising World: an edited volume project; in the middle of being edited (about 18 chapter contributions by some of top social science scholars of the world including Clive Kessler, Anthony Reid, Victor King, Benedict Anderson, Ien Ang, Chua Beng Huat, Hans Dieter Evers and other scholars from Malaysia and Singapore). All articles in except for Introduction
Completed Research Projects
- 1971–1975 Malay Peasants in Plantation Society, Terengganu. PhD Research Project, sponsored by Monash University Postgraduate Research Grant and Colombo Plan, Australia.
- 1982–1983 Ideology and Status of Rural Malay Women, Kanita, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- 1986–1987 From Fisherman to Grower-Curer Tobacco Farmers in Marang, Terengganu, Vote F. Grant, University of Malaya.
- 1987 Malay Cultural Values and Economic Behaviour. Part of research project: ‘Bumiputera Business Participation and Performance in the Food Processing and Construction Industries in Peninsular Malaysia’, Coordinated by Abdul Manaf Said and Salleh Ismail, Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya.
- 1988–1989 Malay and Immigrant Labour in East Coast Plantation Society, Toyota Foundation International Research Grant.
- 1990–1991 Impact of Regional Development on Indigenous Tribal Minorities in Pahang Tenggara. IDRC, Canada and Institute of Advanced Studies, University of Malaya Research Project.
- 1994–1996 Developmentalism and the Marginalisation of Indigenous Communities in Urban Peripheries of Selangor. Partly funded by IRPA Grant on ‘Marginalised Communities’ Research Project.
- 1996–1998 Social Hierarchies in Rural and Urban Malaysian Society. With Timo Kortteinen, University of Helsinki, funded by the Academy of Finland.
- 1996–1997 Land and Forestry Resources of Tribal People. Coordinator of project funded by Rockefeller Brothers Grant.
- 1997–1998 Community Development/Participation in the Malaysian Wetlands, Tasek Bera. Wetlands International Malaysia.
- 1997–1998 Comparison of Malaysian and Japanese Wetlands with Emphasis on Community Development and Environment Conservation Strategies. Funded by Sumitomo Foundation, Japan.
- 1998–1999 Human Rights and Business in Southeast Asia. With Michel Dion, Sherbrooke University, Canada. Funded by CIDA.
- 1999–2000 Reviewing Penan Development in Sarawak. With Peter Kedit as Project Leader, sponsored by Sarawak State Government.
- 1999 Hidden Voices Project (narrations of AIDS by people living with AIDS, Malaysian’s experience). With Marina Mahathir, sponsored by Malaysian AIDS Council.
- 1999–2000 Exploring the Social Narratives and Culturalscape of the Sabah Crocker Range People-Environment Relations: An Anthropological and Audio-Visual Documentation. Universiti Malaysia Sarawak.
- 2000–2001 A Comparative Study of Identity and Empowerment of Indigenous Minorities in the Southeast Asian Nation-States: Malaysian and Indonesian Case Studies, Toyota Foundation Research Grant.
- 2002–2005 Identity and Multiculturalism in Sarawak. Initiator of a book/research project involving local and international scholars.
- 2003–2004 Iban Popular Music in Sarawak as Industry and Identity in the Context of the Malaysian Nation-State. Project with Mohd Fadzil Abd Rahman, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak.
- 2003–2004 Ageing in Sarawak: Impact, Needs and Emerging Issues. Sarawak State Government Project headed by Spencer Empading.
- 2004–2005 The Journey and Works of a Malaysian Impressionist Painter, Razak Abdullah.
- 2006 Popular Culture and Islam in Malaysia: Nasyid Era Baru. Institute of Malay World and Civilisation (ATMA), Universiti Kebangsaaan Malaysia.
- 2006– New Malaysian Cinema on Issues of Identity, Malayness, Gender and Multiculturalism.
- 2007 Blogging and Democratisation in Malaysia. A book/research project (with Jun-E. Tan).
- 2007– Genesis and Development of Nasyid New Era in Malaysia: Islamic Popular Culture in the era of Globalisation. Sponsored by FRGS.
- 2008– Profiling Contemporary Malaysian Art from the Aliya and Farouk Khan Collection. Advisor and research team member headed by Hasnul Jamal Saidon, Director of Tuanku Fauziah Muzeum and Gallery, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- 2009– Multiculturalism and Popular Culture – Malaysia and Other Multiethnic Societies
Publications (as Zawawi Ibrahim)
Books (as author and editor)
Zawawi Ibrahim (1995). Popular Culture at the Crossroads: Malay Contemporary Music (An Analysis of Creativity and the Industry), Kuala Lumpur, Academy of Malay Studies, University of Malaya.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1995). Regional Development in Rural Malaysia and the ‘Tribal Question’, Hull, Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, Hull University.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1996). Kami Bukan Anti-Pembangunan: Bicara Orang Asli Menuju Wawasan 2020 [We are not Anti-Development: Discourse of the Malaysian Indigenous People Towards Vision 2020], Bangi, Malaysian Association of the Social Science (PSSM), Bangi (editor and coordinator).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1998). The Malay Labourer: By the Window of Capitalism, Singapore, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1998). Cultural Contestations: Mediating Identities in a Changing Malaysian Society, London ASEAN Academic Press (editor).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1999). Hidden Voices: True Malaysian Experiences of AIDS, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysian AIDS Council (editor with Marina Mahathir). [Malay version: Suara-Suara Terpendam].
Zawawi Ibrahim (2001). Voices from the Crocker Range Indigenous Communities Sabah: Social Narratives of Transition in Tambunan and Its Neighbours, Kuching, Institute of East Asian Studies, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2001). TUNTUT: Kumpulan Cerpen Orang Asli (A Collection of Orang Asli Short Stories), Kuala Lumpur, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka (editor).
Zawawi Ibrahim (2008). Blogging and Democratization in Malaysia: A New Civil Society in the Making, Petaling Jaya: Strategic Development and Research Development Centre (with Jun-E Tan).
Zawawi Ibrahim (2008). Representation, Identity and Multiculturalism in Sarawak, Kajang: Malaysian Association of Social Science and Kuching, Dayak Cultural Foundation (editor).
Zawawi Ibrahim (Editor) (2012). Social Science and Knowledge in a Globalising World. Petaling Jaya: SIRD (The Strategic Information and Research Development Centre). Bangi: PSSM (Malaysian Association of Social Sciences).
Zawawi Ibrahim & M. S. NoorShah (2012) Masyarakat Penan dan Impian Pembangunan: Satu Himpunan Naratif Keterpeminggiran dan Jatidiri (Penan Society and its Development Imaginings: A Narrative Collection on Marginalisation and Identity). Petaling Jaya: SIRD.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1982). Perspectives on capitalist penetration and the reconstitution of the Malay peasantry. Jurnal Ekonomi Malaysia, 5: 60-105.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Rural women and ideology in the context of development in Malaysia. Kanita, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Zawawi Ibrahim & haharil Talib (1983). Neither rebellions nor revolutions: everyday resistance of the Malay peasantry under capitalist domination. Ilmu Masyarakat (Journal of the Malaysian Association of Social Science), 2: 25-41.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Tani, proletar Melayu dan amalan ideologi kelas’ [Malay Peasants, Proletarians and Class Ideological Practice] Kajian Malaysia, 1(1).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Pembangunan masyarakat tani Malaysia: suatu analisis struktural’ [The development of peasant society in Malaysia: a structural analysis], Prisma, 7.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Malay peasants and proletarian consciousness. Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars, 15(4).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Perspective towards investigating Malay peasant ideology and the bases of its production in contemporary Malaysia. Journal of Contemporary Asia, 13(2): 198-209.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1985). Malay peasant consciousness: power versus people. Inside Asia, 5.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1985). Pemusnahan ekonomi semulajadi: satu sintesis teori’ [The destruction of natural economy: a theoretical synthesis], Sumber (Journal of the Faculty of Development Science, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia) 1.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1985). Konsep pembangunan luar bandar: fahaman dan perlaksaaannya di Malaysia’ [The concept of development: its perspective and implementation in Malaysia], Ilmu Masyarakat (Journal of Malaysian Association of Social Science) 9.
Zawawi Ibrahim & Michel Dion (1995). Joint ventures between Canadian companies and Malaysian business corporations: an ethical outlook. Journal of Oriental and African Studies, 7.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1996). Mediating Identities in a Changing Malaysia. Special Issue, Tonan Ajia Kenkyu [South East Asian Studies], 34(3) (editor).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1997). Orang Asli citizenry and nationhood: mediating the voices of the Bumiputera. ‘Other’ in Malaysia. Asian Studies Review, 21(1): 107-14.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1998). Orang Asli identity in the nation-state: an exploratory analysis. Jurnal Undang-Undang [Journal of Malaysian and Comparative Law], 28: 1-15.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1999). Review article: Power and Politics: the Story of Malaysia’s Orang Asli by Roy Davis Linville Jumper; Indigenous Peoples and the State: Politics, Land and Ethnicity in the Malayan Peninsular and Borneo by Robert L. Winzeler, ed.. Journal of the Malaysian Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, LXXII(2).
Zawawi Ibrahim (1999). Culture in the new reality: beyond economics the quality of life. Sarawak Museum Journal, Special Millennium Issue.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2000). Anthropologising ‘national culture’ in Malaysia: representing and contesting culture in the age of fragmentation. Suomen Antropologi, 25(2): 50-61.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2000). Regional development in rural Malaysia and the ‘tribal question’. Modern Asian Studies, 34(1): 99-137.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2002). The changing environment of the Penans in Baram, Sarawak. Kyoto Review of Southeast Asia (on-line journal), 2.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2003). The search for a “new cinema” in post-colonial Malaysia: the Films of U-Wei bin HajiSaari as counter-narrations of national identity. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, 4(1): 145-54.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2004). On Erma Fatima’s ‘The Last Malay Woman’ (Perempuan Melayu Terakhir): gendering discourses in reclaiming Malayness in the new Malaysian cinema. Spectator. Special Issue: Screening Southeast Asia 24(2): 27-38.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2007). The beginning of neo-realist imaginings in Malaysian cinema: a critical appraisal of Malay modernity and representation of Malayness in Rahim Razali’s films. Asian Journal of Social Science, 35(4-5): 511-27.
Zawawi Ibrahim & Sharifah Zalina (2009). Environment and social science perspectives in Malaysia. Akademika, 76(3): 43-66.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2010). The Anthropology of the Malay peasantry: Critical Reflections on Colonial and Indigenous Scholarship. Asian Journal of Social Science, 36: 5-36.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2014) Commentary: ‘‘Rethinking modernity and capitalism: Add context and stir’ by Professor Jan Nederveen, in SOCOPEDIA COLLOQUIUM,ISA pp.1-5.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2015) (in Vietnamese) BỐN THẾ HỆ NHÂN HỌC NGHIÊN CỨU VỀ NÔNG DÂN MALAY)(Four Generations of Anthropological Research on Malay Peasants), Review of Social Sciences Ho Chi Minh City, The Monthly Review, Vol.1(197), pp.96-117.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2015) ‘From a World System to a Social Science Knowledge ‘Scape’ Perspective: Anthropological Fieldworking and Transnationalizing Theory-making in the Periphery’, Journal of Glocal Studies, No.2, pp.45-68.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2015) ‘From Island to Nation-state Formations and Developmentalism: Penan Story-telling as Narratives of ‘territorialising space’ and Reclaiming Stewardship’, International Journal of Advances in Social Science and Humanities, Vol.3, No.3, pp.1-15
Zawawi Ibrahim (2016). ‘Disciplining Rock Music and Identity Contestations: Hybridisation, Islam and New Genres in Contemporary Malaysian Popular Music’, SITUATIONS, Cultural Studies in the AsianContext, Vol.9, No.1, pp.21-47.
Book Chapters in Edited Collections
Zawawi Ibrahim (1983). Pembangunan maasyarakat tani Melayu: satu analisis [The development of the Malay peasantry: an analysis]. In Peranan Sains Sosial Dalam Pembangunan Negara [The Role of Social Science in National Development], Kuala Lumpur: New Straits Times Press.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1984). Investigating peasant consciousness in contemporary Malaysia. In Andrew Turton and Shigeharu Tanabe (Eds.), History and Consciousness in Southeast Asia (Senri Ethnological Studies 13) (pp. 135-157). Osaka: National Museum of Ethnology.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1989). Ethnicity in Malaysia. In Kumar David and Santasilan Kadirgamar (Eds.), Ethnicity: Identity, Conflict, Crisis, Hong Kong, Arena Press.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1990). Rural Malays and tobacco: a study of organisation, response and changing values. In Issues and Challenges for National Development, Kuala Lumpur, Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1995). An anthropological perspective. In Murugesu Pathmanathan and Robert Haas (Eds.), Political Culture: The Challenge of Modernization, Petaling Jaya, Friedrich-Naumann-Shiftung and Centre for Policy Sciences.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1996). Mengungkap Orang Asli sebagai subjek dalam wacana pembangunan’ [Articulating Orang Asli as subjects in the development discourse], in Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Kami Bukan Anti-Pembangunan, Bangi, Malaysian Association of Social Science.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1997). Mengdismistifikasikan imej dan mitos perburuhan Melayu di ladang’ [Demystifying the Image of Malay Plantation Labour], in Norazit Selat (Ed.), Ekonomi dan Politik Melayu, Kuala Lumpur, Akademi Pengajian Melayu, Universiti Malaya.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1998). A Southeast Asian perspective on the environment: Epilogue. In Victor T. King (Ed.), Environmental Challenges in South-East Asia, London, Curzon Press.
Zawawi Ibrahim (1998). The making of a subaltern discourse in the Malaysian nation-state: new subjectivities and the poetics of Orang Asli dispossession and identity. In Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Culture Contestations: Mediating Identities in a Changing Malaysian Society, London: ASEAN Academic Press.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2001). Pengantar’ [Introduction], in Wan Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), TUNTUT: Kumpulan Cerpen Orang Asli, Oleh Akiya, Kuala Lumpur, Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2004). Globalisation and national identity: managing ethnicity and cultural pluralism in Malaysia. In Yoichiro Sato (Ed.), Growth and Governance in Asia, Honolulu: Asia-Pacific Center for Security Studies.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2005). The cultural context of Malaysian film policy: the new Malaysian cinema. In Lars Feilberg (Ed.), Seminar on Film Industries in Asia and Europe: A Platform for Experiences’ Sharing, Singapore: Asia–Europe Foundation.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2005). Return of the lazy native: explaining Malay/immigrant labour transition in Terengganu plantation society. In Riaz Hassan (Ed.), Local and Global Social Transformation in Southeast Asia. Essays in Honour of Professor Syed Hussein Alatas, Leiden, Brill
Zawawi Ibrahim (2007). Memperkasakan wacana ilmiah dalam penelitian budaya popular lokal di era globalisasi’ [Empowering the Academic Discourse on Local Popular Culture Research in the Era of Globalisation], in Persidangan Seni Budaya dan Warisan: Pendidikan Seni Budaya & Warisan Di Abad 21: Teori dan Praktis, Kuala Lumpur, Akademi Seni Budaya dan Warisan Kebangsaan and Institute of Malay World and Civilisation (ATMA), Universiti Kebangsaaan Malaysia.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2008). Discoursing representation, identity and multiculturalism in Sarawak. In Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Representation, Identity and Multiculturalism in Sarawak, Kajang, Malaysian Social Science Association and Kuching, Dayak Cultural Foundation, pp. 1-19.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2008). Development and alternative representations: narrating a deterritorialised Penan landscape. In Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Representation, Identity and Multiculturalism in Sarawak, Kajang, Malaysian Social Science Association and Kuching, Dayak Cultural Foundation, pp. 75-89.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2009). Representation, identity and multiculturalism in Sarawak: towards a critical alternative Scholarship. In Lim Teck Ghee, Alberto Gomes and Azly Rahman (Eds.), Multiethnic Malaysia: Past, Present and Future, Kuala Lumpur, Midas@UCSI and Petaling Jaya, SIRD, pp. 345-67.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2010). Contesting “nation”: Renegotiating Identity and Multiculturalism in the New Malaysian Cinema. In Doobo Shim, Ariel Heryanto, Ubonrat Siriyuvasak (Eds.), Pop Culture Formations Across East Asia in the 21st Century: Hybridization or Asianisation. Seoul: Jimoundang.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2012). Introduction: Discoursing Social Science and Knowledge in a Globalising World. In Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Social Science and Knowledge in a Globalising World. Petaling Jaya: SIRD / Bangi: PSSM.
Zawawi Ibrahim & NoorShah Mohd Salleh (2012). Indigenising Knowledge and Social Science Discourses in the Periphery: Decolonising Malayness and Malay Underdevelopment. In Zawawi Ibrahim (Ed.), Social Science and Knowledge in a Globalising World. Petaling Jaya: SIRD / Bangi: PSSM.
Zawawi Ibrahim & M. S. NoorShah (2012), Memperkenalkan Naratif Keterpeminggiran dan Jatidiri Penan: Satu Wacana Pasca-Modenis (Introducing Narrations on Penan Marginalisation and Identity: A Post-modernist Discourse). In Zawawi Ibrahim & M. S. NoorShah (Eds.), Masyarakat Penan dan Impian Pembangunan: Satu Himpunan Naratif Keterpeminggiran dan Jatidiri, Petaling Jaya: SIRD.
Zawawi Ibrahim (2016) Book review: Tamils and the Haunting of Justice: History and Recognition in Malaysia’s Plantations by Andrew C. Willford. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 2014. In American Anthropologist, December.
1996 Dayung, a CD/tape cassete musical album: a self-composition of poetic songs which in part incorporates ethnic musical elements and the voices of Orang Asli and MakYong. Released by BMG label.
1999 Musical Score for Monuments of the Rainforest, a National Planetarium documentary by Datuk Prof. Mazlan (with Mohd Hafiz Askiak).
1999 The Sounds of the Crocker Range, a CD album: a compilation of the recordings of music and songs of the Crocker Range indigenous communities, submitted to the Postgraduate Committee, as part of Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Scientific Expedition to Crocker Range project (with Mohd Hafiz Askiak).
Seminar/Conference Presentations (for 2011)
- Facilitator and Discussant: Sabah Capacity Building for Young Social Scientists, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, organized by the Malaysian Association of Social Sciences and Faculty of Social Sciences, Universiti Sabah Malaysia, 1Sth-17th April, 2011.
- Presenter: “Music in Creative Industry: A comparative Perspective – Malaysia and Brunei”, delivered at Forum on the Creative Industry in Brunei Darussalam: Issues and Challenges for the Creative Industry in Brunei Darussalam, Chancellory Hall, UBD, organized by Creative Research Cluster UBD, 23rd July 2011.
- Panelist/ Roundtable: “Sociology of ASEAN/GMS” with other ASEAN panelists, at the 4th National Congress of Sociology: Same Planet, Different Worlds, Future Research Agenda, Miracle Grand Hotel, Bangkok, organized by International Sociology Association (ISA) and Asian Rural Sociology Association (ARSA), 17th-18th October 2011.
- Presenter: Public Lecture: “Contesting Nation: Renegotiating Identity and Multiculturalism in the New Malaysian Cinema”, to be delivered at the SECOND SERIES PUBLIC LECTURES: Voices: Media, Politics and Identity in Contemporary Southeast Asia, organized by Centre for the School of Communication and Culture (CSCC), University of Nottingham Malaysian Campus, Malaysia 3rd December 2011.
- Keynote Speaker: “Identities, Cultures, Environments”, 11th Borneo Research Council Conference, at University Brunei Darussalam, 25th-27th June 2012.
Referee for International Journals (for 2011)
- Nation and Nationalism
- Asian Journal of Social Sciences
Examiner for PhD Dissertations (for 2011)
- Film and Television Studies, School of English, Communication and performance Studies, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- The Institute of Ethnic studies (KITA), National University of Malaysia (UKM)
- School of Graduate Studies, University Putra Malaysia
Professional Appointments (for 2011)
- Member of International Editorial Board for KAJIAN MALAYSIA, Journal of Malaysian Studies, University Sains Malaysia Penang.
- Member of International Editorial Board for SKRIN, Journal of Faculty of Artistic and Creative Technology, UiTM, Shah Alam, Puncak Perdana campus, Selangor. Malaysia.
- Vice-President, Malaysian Association of Social Sciences (Persatuan Sains Sosial Malaysia).
- Academic Referee for professorship promotional exercise for University of Malaya and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.