Ishamina Athirah Gardiner
BA in English Language Studies (UBD)
MA in English Language and Linguistics (UBD)
- acoustic phonetics
- Brunei English
- intelligibility of Brunei English
- The Intelligibility of Brunei English in Cross-cultural Communication (supervisor: Dr David Deterding)
- AE-1201 : Introduction to English Language and Linguistics I
- AE-4304 : Advanced Phonetics and Phonology
- AE-4308 : Forensic Linguistics
Ishamina Athirah, & Deterding, D. (2017). English medium education in a university in Brunei Darussalam: Code-switching and intelligibility. In I. Walkinshaw, B. Fenton-Smith & P. Humphreys (Eds.), English medium instruction in higher education in Asia-Pacific (pp. 281–297). Singapore: Springer. (PDF version).
Ishamina Athirah (2016). The role of fast speech in misunderstandings in Brunei English. In Noor Azam Haji-Othman, J. McLellan & D. Deterding (Eds.), The use and status of language in Brunei Darussalam: A kingdom of unexpected linguistic diversity (pp. 41–56). Singapore: Springer. (Pubisher's Link).
Ishamina Athirah, & Deterding, D. (2015). The role of noun phrases in misunderstandings in Brunei English in ELF settings. Journal of English as a Lingua Franca, 4(2), 283–308. DOI: 10.1515/jelf-2015-0021. (PDF version).